Friday 3 March 2017

Summary of February 2017

Summary February 2017

February was probably one of the most boring months at work. I suspect that routine starts to kick in also. I run to meetings without preparing things and just assume that I will be able to deal with whatever pops up. It seems to work. All my guys are working well and the amount of issues appearing within my groups is minimal... which means that things are then also a bit boring for me.

I no longer remember if I told you or not but I forgot to apply for new studies during this spring so I will also not be able to extract anything new from lecture book etc. hence... I have started to write more articles on the blog because I have time for it again but... at the moment I only catch up with annual reports and to make new analysis is still not on the agenda. Oh, and I managed to sign up for courses this summer semester and I will do some more BA and hopefully also some psychology. 

My lovely wife starts her first UK job today! I am very happy that she will now get the possibility to integrate herself in the UK society before we get deported.

Once per month I have to report to the executive management team (EMT) in my company about my progress. It has usually been a very interesting meeting between me and a couple of the EMT guys with healthy discussions of what needs to be done etc. In the last meeting a guy from over the pond join in to see what was going on over in UK in terms of developments...
Today all my already booked meetings were changed into skype meetings with different branches of our company joining in from all over the world. It confused me a little that so many people will now join in on those meetings that I went and asked my direct EMT boss what was going on? His answer was "you are a victim of your own success" - they enjoyed your meeting so much that now everyone wants to join in on them to find out what is going on in R&D. *sigh* 

This week I also found out that my business partner, that have been riding on my back since many years, did, as I suspected, not manage to keep running the company. We have therefore taken the decision to liquidate the company. I feel sad to see my baby be killed off like that but it is the only way to continue forward right now. Good news for my brother is that he will most likely receive some more dough from me according to the contract that we made when I borrowed money from him to start the company. The liquidation process does however take one year in Germany so he must wait for at least that period.

Oh, and it was a very busy month. I sold three shares and bought two that I already previously hold.

For the previous summary please visit Summary of January 2017 and here you can see my stock portfolio as it is.


Invested versus Current value February 2017


The total invested value is now up at: 87,577 € including a realised loss of -551 €. I bought BP and ETF Portugal.

Current investment February 2017

The value of the portfolio is today: 91,989 € and spread out I now have around 5,817 € in cash on the different accounts. The combined unrealised and realised loss is now at: 4,412 € (5%) which is not as good as one would have liked.


Me versus DAX during February 2017

DAX have been running like a mustard treated bull during February and is now up at 12,067 points which means an increase of  +4.5%! Woow! I am of course not as skilled as the CEOs of the 30 DAX companies and I therefore only have +1.9% for my portfolio.

Conclusion: DAX did excellently this month! I would even stretch out my neck and say that it did silly well. No matter I shall beat DAX in the long run... which by the look of it... must be much more than five years that I am now coming up to... the Index fund approach does indeed look tempting especially with a contrarian twist to it. Still, I am not that unhappy with my 11% in index funds that I have today.

No comments: